Overview

Bridge Gate’s central location in the vibrant town of Hebden Bridge, overlooking the iconic wavy steps and the old Packhorse Bridge at Hebden Water’s edge is perfect for your stay.

The 3 bedroom property (2 bedrooms and 1 mezzanine sleeping area) has been in our family for many generations and has been lovingly restored to a high specification and stylishly furnished whilst keeping its gorgeous original features.

The apartment has a fully fitted kitchen/dining room separate from the living area including a double oven, dishwasher and washer/dryer.  The entire property is exceptionally clean and in tip top condition.  Every last detail has been considered like high thread count bed linen, free WIFI, a large smart TV in the living room, Netflix, USB charging ports on most plug sockets and a bath and shower in the two bathrooms.

Step through the French windows onto the twin rooms balcony for views of the surrounding town.  You’re seconds away from the café’s, restaurants and our famous town square.

Bookings are for a minimum 3 nights stay.

Stair gates are available and used at the guests discretion.

Along with most shops and pubs in Hebden,  we are dog friendly, however we do ask they are kept out of the bedroom areas. You will also have access to a private yard at the rear of the apartment to wash muddy boots and muddy paws before entering the apartment after your daily adventures!

The apartment is situated on a pedestrian only street however loading/unloading is permitted before 10am and after 4pm.

There are plenty of car parks in the vicinity which are well sign posted.

View over packhorse bridge looking back towards the White Swan Pub (2019)
Bridge Gate circa 1910

The History of 24 Bridge Gate

The building shown above was originally 2 separate properties.  24 Bridge Gate on the left and 22 Bridge Gate on the right.  Look closely and the old shop door on the left of the RSPCA shop is no longer in use.

The deeds for both properties are in our possession going back to 23rd December 1892.

Look at William Dehner’s butchers shop and compare it with the window and door on the right of the RSPCA shop and the 3 windows in the sitting room of the apartment!  The photo of the butchers shop was taken in 1919, at a time when foodstuffs were still displayed outside shops, open to the elements!

In 1919, a number of properties in Hebden Bridge were made available to purchase at auction.  24 Bridge Gate was lot number 10 and the details of the sale are available to view in the apartment hallway.

Historical Timeline

22 Bridge Gate

24 Bridge Gate

23/12/1892:  1 part owned by:  Ann Appleyard, John Appleyard and John Cousin Mitchell.  1 part owned by:  John Cockcroft

23/12/1892:  1 part owned by:  Ann Appleyard, John Appleyard and John Cousin Mitchell.  1 part owned by John Cousin Horsfall.
07/05/1908:  1 part owned by:  John Cousin Mitchell and John Cousin Horsfall.  1 part owned by Mary Ann Cockcroft and John Cockcroft 07/05/1908:  1 part owned by John Cousin Mitchell and John Cousin Horsfall.  1 part owned by Mary Ann Cockcroft and John Cockcroft
29/02/1912:  1 part owned by Mary Savonius (nee Appleyard).  1 part owned by James Sutcliffe-Thomas 29/02/1912:  1 part owned by Mary Savonius (nee Appleyard) and 1 part owned by James Sutcliffe-Thomas
17/12/1919:  Sold by William Appleyard, James Appleyard, John Appleyard, Annie Game and Mary Savonius to William Dehner (Butcher) 17/12/1919:  Sold by William Appleyard, James Appleyard, John Appleyard, Annie Game and Mary Savonius to Reuben Rawson and Florence Annie Rawson(Gentlemens Outfitters)
09/04/1926:  Sold by Wiliam Dehner to Gottfried Frederick Yung and Frederick William Shaw (Pork Butchers)
25/02/1930:  Sold by G F Yung and F W Shaw to Herbert and May Lord and Reuben and Florence Rawson. 01/05/1940:  Reuben Rawson died
20/09/1968:  Assent to Mrs May Lord following the death of her husband 22/06/1945:  Sold by Florence Annie Rawson to Herbert and May Lord (1 part) and John and Dorothy Buxton (1 part)
23/06/1977:  Deed of Gift from May Lord to Dorothy Buxton (nee Lord) 23/06/1977:  Deed of Gift from May Lord to Dorothy Buxton (nee Lord)

It is not known when the properties were actually combined into one.  For a long time the shop became Gibson and Rawson Gentlemen’s Outfitters up until 1977.  From then the shop was leased to Dorothy Sutcliffe (originally a landlady from Blackpool) who opened as a Travel Agents/Coach Trip Booking Company/Tobacconist/Sweet Shop.  The shop was taken over in 1996 by Travel World.  Later it became the base for Turners Estate Agents and now it is the home of the Hebden Bridge Branch of the RSPCA.

Some of the family’s business advertisements at 24 Bridge Gate have been found in historical publications

On Boxing day 2015 a devastating flood engulfed Hebden Bridge and the continued residency of the family came to an end.  Since then, the property has been lovingly restored to how you see it today.  Many of the buildings ‘quirky’ features remain which is also a gentle reminder of its history.

View from St Georges Square looking down Bridge Gate 27/12/2015
View of 24b Bridge Gate from over the river showing the severity of the 2015 Boxing Day Floods